Definition of bleak :
1. A small European river fish ( Leuciscus alburnus), of the family Cyprinidae; the blay.
2. Cold and cutting; cheerless; as, a bleak blast.
3. Desolate and exposed; swept by cold winds.
4. Without color; pale; pallid.
bug-eyed, rude, dim, dreich, light, depressing, elegiac, godforsaken, bare-ass, tender, new, foggy, verdant, biting, pinching, opprobrious, boreal, calamitous, dank, frowning, somber, lancinate, absent, chilling, innocent, polar, beatific, cynical, bad, marginal, attitude, windy, stark naked, consummate, mild, lugubrious, unadulterated, lancinating, gross, boisterous, misty, exposed, sunny, sepulchral, pitch-black, disastrous, scanty, mournful, negative, unfinished, tenebrific, blue, turbulent, stony, darkly, freezing, unsheltered, cleared, shadowy, pitch-dark, weary, cold, Cimmerian, inglorious, dark, wintry, curious, fatalistic, in the raw, utter, squally, sad, crude, wretched, tenebrous, joyless, mordant, nipping, bare-assed, simple, craggy, sinister, subdued, distressing, shivery, bombed, solemn, fresh, fatal, contraband, sodding, stinging, naked, morbid, saturnine, smuggled, desolate, flat, in the buff, dense, knifelike, bootleg, gray, brooding, naked as a jaybird, funereal, dumb, dirty, mere, drear, blank, murky, slow, sunless, inclement, lonesome, peeled, dimmed, nude, sensitive, wild, unsheathed, shameful, nippy, blasted, unsanded, darkening, black-market, free, bitter, sullen, plain, black, chill, unornamented, depressive, thoroughgoing, arctic, appealing, awful, edged, double-dyed, devoid, comfortless, pure, faint, rough, waste, natural, hot, everlasting, green, disgraceful, tempestuous, stormy, dull, unappealing, sore, arrant, piercing, wispy, stripped, disconsolate, pleasant, unattractive, vague, disagreeable, happy, objectionable, glacial, uninviting, staring, broken, perfect, nasty, dire, foul, in the altogether, unembellished, smutty, ignominious, complete, au naturel, blackened, obtuse, hard, unpleasant, cloudy, plutonian, fateful, stabbing, monotonous, destitute
desolate (part of speech: adjective)
severe (part of speech: adjective)
disciplined, crisp, abrupt, acrimonious, brisk, ascetic, stringent, Spartan, prudish, curt, correct, astringent, sharp, acute, stiff-necked, oppressive, strict, obstinate, grim, strait-laced, relentless, dry, exacting, intolerant, Draconian, harsh, stern, short, fundamental, cool, blunt, obdurate, austere, intense, rigid, lean, basic, frosty, inflexible, hidebound, tart, chilly, piquant, acerbic, raw, brusque, puritanical, rigorous, critical, demanding, keen, icy, severe, imperial, unbending, caustic, meticulous, censorious, uncompromising, spare, precise, cutting, dour, authoritarian, gruff
hopeless (part of speech: adjective)
- So this was our coming to Bleak House. - "The World's Greatest Books, Vol III", Arthur Mee and J.A. Hammerton, Eds..
- It was one of those ideal days which come now and again to that northern country in spring, as though to emphasize by contrast the fact that the long bleak winter is over. - "Bobby of the Labrador", Dillon Wallace.
- Hector's lean face was bleak. - "The Dueling Machine", Benjamin William Bova Myron R. Lewis.