Definition of bode :
1. A bid; an offer.
2. A messenger; a herald.
3. A stop; a halting; delay.
5. An omen; a foreshadowing.
6. Bid or bidden.
7. To foreshow something; to augur.
8. To indicate by signs, as future events; to be the omen of; to portend to presage; to foreshow.
forebode, signal, count on, forerun, estimate, point, anticipate, auspicate, call, show, announce, indicate, bespeak, calculate, foresight, prefigure, harbinger, foretoken, reckon, foretell, herald, omen, promise, annunciate, figure, divine, presage, prognosticate, betoken, augur, adumbrate
predict (part of speech: verb)
- Even Mounier, who set out to refute Barruel on the strength of the information supplied to him by the Illuminatus Bode, admits their duplicity in this respect. - "Secret Societies And Subversive Movements", Nesta H. Webster.
- I told certain people in Spain about Bode and of his intention to visit the mining districts of Spain where numbers of men are employed. - "Face to Face with Kaiserism", James W. Gerard.
- The astronomer Bode, in 1781, published a list of eighty double stars, and, in a few years after, Sir William Herschel discovered several hundreds more of those objects. - "The Astronomy of Milton's 'Paradise Lost'", Thomas Orchard.