Definition of bombast:
- Cotton, or any soft, fibrous material, used as stuffing for garments; stuffing; padding.
- Fig.: High- sounding words; an inflated style; language above the dignity of the occasion; fustian.
- High- sounding; inflated; big without meaning; magniloquent; bombastic.
- Originally, cotton, or cotton wool.
- To swell or fill out; to pad; to inflate.
- boast (part of speech: noun)
- wordiness (part of speech: noun)
- ornate speech or writing (part of speech: noun)
- "Greener Than You Think", Ward Moore.
Then to end up, after tramping the streets with other gaping idlers till late at night, he would make his way back, with weary limbs and aching ribs, his head whirling confusedly with bombast and loud talk, through the sleeping city to the Faubourg Saint- Germain.- "The Aspirations of Jean Servien", Anatole France.
- "The English Novel in the Time of Shakespeare", J. J. Jusserand.