Definition of brain:
- The affections; fancy; imagination.
- The anterior or cephalic ganglion in insects and other invertebrates.
- The organ or seat of intellect; hence, the understanding.
- The whitish mass of soft matter ( the center of the nervous system, and the seat of consciousness and volition) which is inclosed in the cartilaginous or bony cranium of vertebrate animals. It is simply the anterior termination of the spinal cord, and is developed from three embryonic vesicles, whose cavities are connected with the central canal of the cord; the cavities of the vesicles become the central cavities, or ventricles, and the walls thicken unequally and become the three segments, the fore-, mid-, and hind- brain.
- To conceive; to understand.
- To dash out the brains of; to kill by beating out the brains. Hence, Fig.: To destroy; to put an end to; to defeat.
point, be preoccupied by, thump, sensation, wittiness, top dog, cerebral, fountainhead, question, hit, judgment, headpiece, tripe, ace, sweetbread, mastermind, consciousness, brainiac, soul, occupy, star, cerebrum, sense, promontory, smack, egghead, mental capacity, head teacher, principal, psyche, brain death, hotshot, thinker, card, common sense, flair, wizard, wit, learning ability, cerebellum, clarity, be fixated on, artful dodger, head word, batter, beat, drumhead, header, intuition, giblets, ability, intellectual, school principal, champion, caput, outlook, virtuoso, brain cell, tongue, polymath, headland, headway, idea, mentality, creative thinker, vision, capitulum, superstar, wisdom, brainstem, genius, think about obsessively, liver, pass, smarts, wiz, foreland, spirit, quick study, beat up, mind-set, humour, brainwave, central nervous system, mavin, intellectuality, read/write head, whiz, haunt, disposition, gray matter, stun, chitterlings, adept, bludgeon, mind, humor, kidney, brains, headspring, nous, sage, oral sex, witticism, forefront, brilliance, punch, conceiver, wizardry, originator, mindset, chief, Mensa, head, scholar, brainpower, maven, straits, judgement, smart, instinct, encephalon, heading, cerebral cortex, wag, brain damage, whizz.