Definition of brass:
- A brass plate engraved with a figure or device. Specifically, one used as a memorial to the dead, and generally having the portrait, coat of arms, etc.
- A journal bearing, so called because frequently made of brass. A brass is often lined with a softer metal, when the latter is generally called a white metal lining. See Axle box, Journal Box, and Bearing.
- An alloy ( usually yellow) of copper and zinc, in variable proportion, but often containing two parts of copper to one part of zinc. It sometimes contains tin, and rarely other metals.
- Coin made of copper, brass, or bronze.
- Impudence; a brazen face.
- Lumps of pyrites or sulphuret of iron, the color of which is near to that of brass.
- Utensils, ornaments, or other articles of brass.
impudence, system, government activity, scratch, organization, brass section, formation, brass instrument, daring, sassiness, courtesy, ecesis, disrespect, cheekiness, audacity, forwardness, assurance, governing, uppishness, governing body, cabbage, expression, impertinence, grimace, bread, discourtesy, face, giving medication, insolence, nervus, rudeness, audaciousness, cheek, currency, brashness, memorial tablet, font, incivility, mazuma, constitution, hardihood, gelt, overconfidence, establishment, mettle, officer, governance, nerve, validation, long green, brazenness, green, effrontery, cash, fount, administration, pinchbeck, side, presumptuousness, crust, nerviness, dough, shamelessness, attitude, sauciness, spunk, strikingness, plaque, presidency, presidential term, lucre, sauce, disposal, organisation, impudency, money, heart, look, facial expression, assumption, chutzpah, jack, hardiness, boldness, judicature, typeface, government, pushiness, aspect, moola, lettuce, rudeness, buttock, arrangement, uppityness, institution, case, gall, wampum, pertness, human face, familiarity.
- "The Turnstile", A. E. W. (Alfred Edward Woodley) Mason.
- "Gentle Julia", Booth Tarkington.
- "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists", Robert Tressell.