Definition of bread :
1. A genus of plants embracing several species and varieties differing much in appearance and qualities: such as the common cabbage ( B. oleracea), broccoli, cauliflowers, etc.; the wild turnip ( B. campestris); the common turnip ( B. rapa); the rape or coleseed ( B. napus), etc.
2. An article of food made from flour or meal by moistening, kneading, and baking.
3. Food; sustenance; support of life, in general.
4. To cover with bread crumbs, preparatory to cooking; as, breaded cutlets.
5. To spread.
prick, boodle, edible, brass, cole, wampum, scraping, moola, moolah, excoriation, cacography, aliment, scratch, scratching, lucre, scribble, eats, keep, scar, earnings, stops, victual, starting line, booty, abrasion, currency, incision, pap, sugar, nourishment, lolly, saccharide, plunder, dirty money, vittles, maintenance, mazuma, simoleons, needful, alimentation, breadcrumbs, cultivated cabbage, slit, cabbage, peag, ice lolly, colewort, dinero, provender, scratch line, coin, wampumpeag, staff of life, net profit, chou, pillage, provisions, profit, bread and butter, have a meal, corn pone, copper, bill, pelf, edibles, breadstuff, kale, table, scrape, comestible, brioche, banknote, kail, lollipop, blini, diet, nutrition, esculent, change, dent, gold, provision, long green, pabulum, nurture, tucker, swag, shekels, jack, living, chow, net, mark, scrawl, eat, upkeep, alimony, start, coinage, net income, eatables, green, victuals, care for, profits, carbohydrate, support, tender, foodstuffs, legal tender, refined sugar, popsicle, clams, gelt, prize, chips, comestibles, loot, bucks, viands, chuck, lettuce, borecole, chicken feed
bread (part of speech: noun)
griddlecake, pumpernickel, banana bread, toast, white bread, tortilla, corn bread, whole wheat bread, crust, waffle, donut, loaf, bagel, rye bread, brown bread, flapjack, flour, cracker, raisin bread, breakfast roll, pancake, biscuit, bun, baguette, crumb, hard roll, bread stick, rusk, scone, yeast, pita bread, taco, dumpling, croutons, sliced bread, muffin, croissant, sweet roll, whole grain bread, roll, sweet bun, zwieback, dough
meal (part of speech: noun)
breakfast, consumption, meat, eating, drink, feast, barbecue, food, foodstuff, picnic, taste, grub, dinner, nutriment, ingestion, fare, spread, cuisine, lunch, morsel, repast, snack, sustenance, meal, banquet, feed, board
money (part of speech: noun)
food (part of speech: noun)
- We let them alone- French women, you understand- until I saw the Huns beating the women and taking the bread away from them. - "Italy at War and the Allies in the West", E. Alexander Powell.
- Nothin's so good as fresh milk an' bread. - "The Secret Garden", Frances Hodgson Burnett.
- It will teach you to pay more attention to the game, and less to the waste of Madame Fregeau's good bread!" - "The Belovéd Traitor", Frank L. Packard.