Definition of breve:
- A curved mark  used commonly to indicate the short quantity of a vowel.
- a diacritical mark ( u- curved) placed over a vowel to indicate a short sound
- A note or character of time, equivalent to two semibreves or four minims. When dotted, it is equal to three semibreves. It was formerly of a square figure ( as thus: / ), but is now made oval, with a line perpendicular to the staff on each of its sides; -- formerly much used for choir service.
- Any writ or precept under seal, issued out of any court.
- The great ant thrush of Sumatra ( Pitta gigas), which has a very short tail.
After the wood, the gate of the Deserto is close at hand: it gives access to a straight, steep drive, at the end of which stands a tower overtopping a red group of buildings, and on it the words- " Ego vox clamantis In Deserto Tempus breve est."- "Naples Past and Present", Arthur H. Norway.
- "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke", C. J. Dennis.
- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.