Definition of brighten:
- To grow bright, or more bright; to become less dark or gloomy; to clear up; to become bright or cheerful.
- To improve or relieve by dispelling gloom or removing that which obscures and darkens; to shed light upon; to make cheerful; as, to brighten one's prospects.
- To make acute or witty; to enliven.
- To make bright or brighter; to make to shine; to increase the luster of; to give a brighter hue to.
- To make illustrious, or more distinguished; to add luster or splendor to.
finish up, clarify, gain, improve, light, bring in, shed light on, sort out, crystalize, assoil, clear, animate, perk up, mop up, sack up, acquit, realize, discharge, finish off, polish off, pull in, pass, happy, buoy up, sack, elucidate, net, solve, exculpate, illume, make, take in, realise, get through, exonerate, glow, crystallise, relieve, straighten out, shade, enlighten, authorize, wrap up, polish, authorise, unclutter, light up, lighten up, crystalise, earn, clear up, top, fire up, lighten, crystallize.
- "Marcia Schuyler", Grace Livingston Hill Lutz.
- "Joe Wilson and His Mates", Henry Lawson.
- "Martin Hewitt, Investigator", Arthur Morrison.