Definition of bruise:
- An injury to the flesh of animals, or to plants, fruit, etc., with a blunt or heavy instrument, or by collision with some other body; a contusion; as, a bruise on the head; bruises on fruit.
- To break; as in a mortar; to bray, as minerals, roots, etc.; to crush.
- To fight with the fists; to box.
- To injure, as by a blow or collision, without laceration; to contuse; as, to bruise one's finger with a hammer; to bruise the bark of a tree with a stone; to bruise an apple by letting it fall.
strike, scandalise, cut, bruising, help, slander, concussion, crack, belabor, cast aspersions (on), batter, infract, take its toll, blister, pound, pique, beat, breakage, hurt, chastise, suffer, switch, smite, pommel, contusion, swelling, burnout, cudgel, self-injury, sprain, blacken someone's reputation/name/character, shiner, transgress, vanquish, outrage, black-and-blue mark, defeat, ecchymosis, offend, contuse, breach, loss, chip, smear, violate, flog, scourge, go against, blight, strain, disable, mar, surpass, harm, fracture, stain, overcome, graze, discoloration, shock, disfigure, discredit, spoil, appal, black eye, thrash, abrasion, worst, damage, spank, petechia, mark, taint, wound, talk trash, appall, blemish, smart, spite, injure, conquer, disgrace, scrape, scandalize, castigate, break, bastinado, whip.
pain (part of speech: noun)
- pulp (part of speech: verb)
- "Faces and Places", Henry William Lucy.
- "The Chevalier d'Auriac", S. (Sidney) Levett-Yeats.
- "Desert Love", Joan Conquest.