Definition of bubble:
- A globule of air, or globular vacuum, in a transparent solid; as, bubbles in window glass, or in a lens.
- A person deceived by an empty project; a gull.
- A small quantity of air or gas within a liquid body; as, bubbles rising in champagne or aerated waters.
- A small, hollow, floating bead or globe, formerly used for testing the strength of spirits.
- A thin film of liquid inflated with air or gas; as, a soap bubble; bubbles on the surface of a river.
- Anything that wants firmness or solidity; that which is more specious than real; a false show; a cheat or fraud; a delusive scheme; an empty project; a dishonest speculation; as, the South Sea bubble.
- The globule of air in the spirit tube of a level.
- To rise in bubbles, as liquids when boiling or agitated; to contain bubbles.
- To run with a gurgling noise, as if forming bubbles; as, a bubbling stream.
- To sing with a gurgling or warbling sound.
burp, boil up, live, extravasate, atomize, spew, cardhouse, tattle, babble, cream, dream, soap bubble, lap, calm, talk, trickle, remain, swash, eruct, blather, fantasy, cockle, air bubble, clear, go on, boil away, sing, dribble, go along, blither, boil over, bulge, chimera, ruffle, ripple, ferment, castle in the air, pipe dream, bowl, ball, real, persist, erupt, rainbow, carbonation, guggle, move, splash, outlive, seethe, hold out, suds, babble out, crescent, blether, let the cat out of the bag, solid, simmer, bake, proceed, coil, droplet, spume, blab, burble, cone, wash, churn, belch, circle, sac, card-house, yeast, peach, house of cards, break down, illusion, live on, band, spew out, blab out, smolder, spill the beans, smatter, burn, plash, riffle, undulate, cardcastle, gurgle.
- "The Wailing Octopus", Harold Leland Goodwin.
- "The White Peacock", D. H. (David Herbert) Lawrence.
- "The Long Lane's Turning", Hallie Erminie Rives.