Definition of buffalo :
1. A buffalo robe. See robe, below.
2. A species of the genus Bos or Bubalus ( B. bubalus), originally from India, but now found in most of the warmer countries of the eastern continent. It is larger and less docile than the common ox, and is fond of marshy places and rivers.
3. A very large and savage species of the same genus ( B. Caffer) found in South Africa; - called also Cape buffalo.
4. Any species of wild ox.
5. The bison of North America.
6. The buffalo fish. See fish, below.
mammal (part of speech: noun)
gazelle, hog, camelopard, cheetah, jackal, dromedary, lynx, hare, hedgehog, otter, antelope, wolf, sheep, elephant, rhinoceros, mule, lemming, donkey, horse, mongoose, squirrel, raccoon, hyena, dog, camel, ibex, wallaby, panda, deer, elk, cat, opossum, llama, lion, giraffe, mole, coyote, puma, polecat, mouse, arctic fox, cavy, ox, zebra, kangaroo, pig, weasel, marmot, gnu, hamster, porcupine, stag, caribou, bobcat, ferret, panther, ocelot, dingo, cougar, bison, alpaca, gopher, chinchilla, wombat, sable, yak, koala, rabbit, burro, swine, stoat, mink, shrew, skunk, cow, fox, hippopotamus, possum, beaver, goat, bear, tiger, echidna, sloth, platypus, moose, chipmunk, jaguar, reindeer, rat, leopard, ermine, ass
- When on horseback he had been charged by a wounded buffalo. - "Reminiscences of a South African Pioneer", W. C. Scully.
- The chase was now over, the buffalo stopped and soon rolled on the ground perfectly helpless. - "Monsieur Violet", Frederick Marryat.
- Only thirty- five miles by the way we came, but horses must eat to live, and we have nothing but the buffalo grass to offer them. - "Campaigning with Crook and Stories of Army Life", Charles King.