Definition of buffet:
- A blow from any source, or that which affects like a blow, as the violence of winds or waves; a stroke; an adverse action; an affliction; a trial; adversity.
- A blow with the hand; a slap on the face; a cuff.
- A counter for refreshments; a restaurant at a railroad station, or place of public gathering.
- A cupboard or set of shelves, either movable or fixed at one side of a room, for the display of plate, china, etc., a sideboard.
- A small stool; a stool for a buffet or counter.
- To affect as with blows; to strike repeatedly; to strive with or contend against; as, to buffet the billows.
- To deaden the sound of ( bells) by muffling the clapper.
- To exercise or play at boxing; to strike; to smite; to strive; to contend.
- To make one's way by blows or struggling.
- To strike with the hand or fist; to box; to beat; to cuff; to slap.
rejoinder, assail, tabulator, blow, thrash, heel counter, stroke, thresh, misfortune, beat, knock, rap, lash, calamity, belabor, return, kick about, shock, drub, thump, counterpunch, comeback, assault, kick around, meal, clobber, spank, knock about, bust, burnish, counter, hammer, box, slap, cut, dinge, furbish, buff, attack, batter, smorgasbord, riposte, disaster, furniture, swat, chop, cuff, stripe, parry, strike, whack, retort, smacker, pound, snack bar, replication, lambaste, punch, spat, snack counter, baste, concussion, sideboard, pummel, smash, smack, clip.
- cupboard (part of speech: noun)
- table (part of speech: noun)
- "The Legends Of King Arthur And His Knights", James Knowles.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
He shows us first the informal assembly before Caiaphas, whither Annas sent Him with that sufficient sign of his own judgment, the binding of His hands, and the first buffet, inflicted by an officer, upon His holy face.- "The Gospel According to St. Mark", G. A. Chadwick.