Definition of bureau:
- A chest of drawers for clothes, especially when made as an ornamental piece of furniture.
- Hence: A department of public business requiring a force of clerks; the body of officials in a department who labor under the direction of a chief.
- Originally, a desk or writing table with drawers for papers.
- The place where such a bureau is used; an office where business requiring writing is transacted.
pectus, authority, business office, position, office, berth, furniture, dominance, power, representation, government agency, place, actor's assistant, dresser, situation, dressing table, thorax, breast, billet, sanction, delegacy, vanity, authorization, spot, chest, self-confidence, part, federal agency, confidence, sureness, agency, potency, authorisation, post, say-so, chest of drawers, function, self-assurance, toilet table, department, means, committee, office staff, assurance, way, role, board.
- cupboard (part of speech: noun)
- market (part of speech: noun)
- "Rose of Dutcher's Coolly", Hamlin Garland.
- "Ethelyn's Mistake", Mary Jane Holmes.
- "'Laramie;' or, The Queen of Bedlam.", Charles King.