Definition of burly :
1. Coarse and rough; boisterous.
2. Having a large, strong, or gross body; stout; lusty; - now used chiefly of human beings, but formerly of animals, in the sense of stately or beautiful, and of inanimate things that were huge and bulky.
- On the contrary, had it not been for the presence of three burly fellows, who immediately took up their places beside me, I fancy I should have made a dash for liberty. - "My Strangest Case", Guy Boothby.
- A burly soldier knocked Peter backward; he fell heavily and lay still. - "Men Called Him Master", Elwyn Allen Smith.
- " This is more of an adventure than ever," thought Bessie, as she followed the big, burly guard. - "Our Bessie", Rosa Nouchette Carey.