Definition of but :
1. A joint where the ends of two objects come squarely together without scarfing or chamfering; - also called butt joint.
2. A kind of hinge used in hanging doors, etc.; - so named because fastened on the edge of the door, which butts against the casing, instead of on its face, like the strap hinge; also called butt hinge.
3. A limit; a bound; a goal; the extreme bound; the end.
4. A limit; a boundary.
5. A mark to be shot at; a target.
6. A person at whom ridicule, jest, or contempt is directed; as, the butt of the company.
7. A piece of land left unplowed at the end of a field.
8. A push, thrust, or sudden blow, given by the head of an animal; as, the butt of a ram.
9. A thrust in fencing.
10. Except with; unless with; without.
11. Except; besides; save.
12. Excepting or excluding the fact that; save that; were it not that; unless; - elliptical, for but that.
13. On the contrary; on the other hand; only; yet; still; however; nevertheless; more; further; -- as connective of sentences or clauses of a sentence, in a sense more or less exceptive or adversative; as, the House of Representatives passed the bill, but the Senate dissented; our wants are many, but quite of another kind.
14. Only; solely; merely.
15. Otherwise than that; that not; - commonly, after a negative, with that.
16. See Butt, v., and Abut, v.
17. The end of a connecting rod or other like piece, to which the boxing is attached by the strap, cotter, and gib.
18. The end; esp. the larger or thicker end, or the blunt, in distinction from the sharp, end. See 1st Butt.
19. The hut or shelter of the person who attends to the targets in rifle practice.
20. The joint where two planks in a strake meet.
21. The outer apartment or kitchen of a two- roomed house; - opposed to ben, the inner room.
22. The portion of a half- coupling fastened to the end of a hose.
23. The thicker end of anything. See But.
24. The thickest and stoutest part of tanned oxhides, used for soles of boots, harness, trunks.
only when, hardly, except, excepting, further, save, entirely, provided, unless, merely, tho, excluding, plainly, purely, precisely, scarce, besides, barely, just now, simply, beyond, notwithstanding, just, without, scarcely, include, exclusive of something, otherwise than, with the exception of, exclusively, solely, aside from, only, that, and, exactly, only if, alone
however (part of speech: adverb)