Definition of butter:
- An oily, unctuous substance obtained from cream or milk by churning.
- Any substance resembling butter in degree of consistence, or other qualities, especially, in old chemistry, the chlorides, as butter of antimony, sesquichloride of antimony; also, certain concrete fat oils remaining nearly solid at ordinary temperatures, as butter of cacao, vegetable butter, shea butter.
- One who, or that which, butts.
- To cover or spread with butter.
- To increase, as stakes, at every throw or every game.
- "Andy Grant's Pluck", Horatio Alger.
- "The South of France--East Half", Charles Bertram Black.
- "Bunny Brown and His Sister Sue and Their Shetland Pony", Laura Lee Hope.