Definition of cabbage :
1. A genus of plants embracing several species and varieties differing much in appearance and qualities: such as the common cabbage ( B. oleracea), broccoli, cauliflowers, etc.; the wild turnip ( B. campestris); the common turnip ( B. rapa); the rape or coleseed ( B. napus), etc.
2. An esculent vegetable of many varieties, derived from the wild Brassica oleracea of Europe. The common cabbage has a compact head of leaves. The cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc., are sometimes classed as cabbages.
3. Cloth or clippings cabbaged or purloined by one who cuts out garments.
4. The cabbage palmetto. See below.
5. The terminal bud of certain palm trees, used, like, cabbage, for food. See tree, below.
6. To form a head like that the cabbage; as, to make lettuce cabbage.
7. To purloin or embezzle, as the pieces of cloth remaining after cutting out a garment; to pilfer.
mouse, ice lolly, plagiarize, filch, hornswoggle, bring up, popsicle, legal tender, net income, booty, net, lollipop, con, reverse, plagiarise, rustle, boodle, nobble, dirty money, cop, lunatic, humpback, face-lift, snitch, slit, come up, plume, pilfer, plunder, diddle, thieve, overturn, chicken feed, rise, scratch line, chou, gold, backward, wild cabbage, madman, fleece, start, gip, short-change, scraping, snare, go up, uprise, shekels, chips, rob, hunchback, profits, pinch, borecole, mulct, swipe, bucks, bunco, addict, swag, hoist, bread, scratching, surcharge, sneak, simoleons, mazuma, money, squeeze, cole, creep, cash, elevate, mark, kale, cream puff, lolly, accost, knock off, jack, net profit, pillage, solicit, dwarf, profit, dough, coin, snarf, sugar, scratch, peag, abrasion, moolah, clams, scrawl, vacate, goldbrick, hook, rear, tweet, wampum, scribble, gazump, madwoman, earnings, twitch, abstract, dinero, kail, top, rook, purloin, gelt, crimp, move up, vellicate, airlift, kidnap, crochet, saccharide, scar, change, revoke, prick, excoriation, refined sugar, starting line, wampumpeag, arise, lift, dent, prize, overcharge, breadstuff, scam, pussyfoot, loot, needful, gyp, annul, pluck, tender, swindle, twinge, lucre, repeal, defraud, imbecile, glom, cripple, victimize, brass, Brassica Oleracea, colewort, moola, currency, snatch, stops, incision, soak, wind, countermand, green, long green, staff of life, cacography, raise, scrape, pelf, slip, cultivated cabbage, carbohydrate, rescind, get up, abduct
vegetable (part of speech: noun)
sweet potato, green beans, Brussels sprouts, radish, peas, pepper, mushroom, carrot, chard, turnip, onion, spinach, leek, cauliflower, squash, yam, celery, vegetable, zucchini, romain, lentils, rice, broccoli, tomato, collard greens, chive, eggplant, string beans, okra, beet, parsley, rutabaga, shallot, pumpkin, potato, lettuce, maize, Lima beans, artichoke, endive, asparagus, corn, parsnip, water cress, beans, cucumber
vegetables (part of speech: noun)
- The cart would be loaded with beef, bacon, potatoes, onions, cabbage, tobacco, cigars, soap, etc. - "In and Out of Rebel Prisons", Lieut. A. [Alonzo] Cooper.
- " Neither you are- but everything in this house smells of coal- smoke and cabbage- water and general fustiness, and you're a nice change, that's all," said Cecilia. - "Back To Billabong", Mary Grant Bruce.
- Thompkins always selected the best meats, of beef, mutton, chickens and squirrels, and vegetables of corn, tomatoes, onions, cabbage and potatoes. - "Shawn of Skarrow", James Tandy Ellis.