Definition of cane:
- A lance or dart made of cane.
- A local European measure of length. See Canna.
- A name given to several peculiar palms, species of Calamus and Daemanorops, having very long, smooth flexible stems, commonly called rattans.
- A walking stick; a staff; - so called because originally made of one the species of cane.
- Any plant with long, hard, elastic stems, as reeds and bamboos of many kinds; also, the sugar cane.
- Stems of other plants are sometimes called canes; as, the canes of a raspberry.
- To beat with a cane.
- To make or furnish with cane or rattan; as, to cane chairs.
sap, baton, bud, lambaste, call on the carpet, flog, bludgeon, Band-Aid, dress down, loom, machine, corset, chastise, cudgel, boll, shillelagh, lecture, waddy, spinning wheel, beanstalk, chew up, lambast, stave, stick, spindle, interlace, chew out, welt, berate, blade, reproof, bastinado, lather, trounce, bandage, aerial root, basketry, nightstick, hiding, staff, bawl out, cast, spinner, braces, stick, collar, staff, shuttle, have words, bat, cotton ball, beating, take to task, rung, flogging, walking stick, compress, chide, call down, bulb, reprimand, the birch, billy, scold, slash, corporal punishment, spin, billy club, jaw, anther, remonstrate, rebuke, distaff, bract, rag, pole, bur, cotton.
punishment device (part of speech: noun)
- solitary confinement,
- bull whip,
- whipping post,
- birch rod,
- torture chamber,
- gas chamber,
- electric chair,
The man was still more convinced that the ghost of the original owner of the skull had been after him, when his wife informed him that the cane which hung in his room had been beating against the wall in a dreadful manner.- "Strange Pages from Family Papers", T. F. Thiselton Dyer.
- "Herbal Simples Approved for Modern Uses of Cure", William Thomas Fernie.
- "Flower of the Dusk", Myrtle Reed.