Definition of capillary:
- A minute, thin- walled vessel; particularly one of the smallest blood vessels connecting arteries and veins, but used also for the smallest lymphatic and biliary vessels.
- A tube or vessel, extremely fine or minute.
- Pertaining to capillary tubes or vessels; as, capillary action.
- Resembling a hair; fine; minute; very slender; having minute tubes or interspaces; having very small bore; as, the capillary vessels of animals and plants.
Before leaving Momay; I sealed two small glass flasks containing the air of this elevation, by closing with a spirit lamp a very fine capillary tube, which formed the opening to each; avoiding the possibility of heating the contents by the hand or otherwise.- "Himalayan Journals V2.", J. D. Hooker.
- "The Chemical History Of A Candle", Michael Faraday.
When the free water in the capillary spaces of the wood fibre is evaporated it follows the laws of evaporation from capillary spaces, except that the passages are not all free passages, and much of the water has to pass out by a process of transfusion through the moist cell walls.- "Seasoning of Wood", Joseph B. Wagner.