Definition of carbuncle :
1. A charge or bearing supposed to represent the precious stone. It has eight scepters or staves radiating from a common center. Called also escarbuncle.
2. A very painful acute local inflammation of the subcutaneous tissue, esp. of the trunk or back of the neck, characterized by brawny hardness of the affected parts, sloughing of the skin and deeper tissues, and marked constitutional depression. It differs from a boil in size, tendency to spread, and the absence of a central core, and is frequently fatal. It is also called anthrax.
gem (part of speech: noun)
emerald, onyx, star sapphire, ruby, turquoise, diamond, bloodstone, lapis lazuli, sardonyx, agate, topaz, gem, moonstone, garnet, aquamarine, opal, chalcedony, sapphire, jade, coral, hyacinth, zircon, beryl, amethyst, rose quartz
- " Certainly," said Mrs. Carbuncle. - "The Eustace Diamonds", Anthony Trollope.
- A striking, decorative plant, once much sought after for its medicinal virtues- still another herb with which old women delight to dose their victims for any malady from a cold to a carbuncle. - "Wild Flowers Worth Knowing", Neltje Blanchan et al.
- " Robin of Bagshot, alias Gorgon, alias Bluff Bob, alias Carbuncle, alias Bob Booty," was very obviously intended for Walpole and his " dear charmers" for his wife and Molly Skerrett. - "Life And Letters Of John Gay (1685-1732)", Lewis Melville.