Definition of carbuncle:
- A charge or bearing supposed to represent the precious stone. It has eight scepters or staves radiating from a common center. Called also escarbuncle.
- A very painful acute local inflammation of the subcutaneous tissue, esp. of the trunk or back of the neck, characterized by brawny hardness of the affected parts, sloughing of the skin and deeper tissues, and marked constitutional depression. It differs from a boil in size, tendency to spread, and the absence of a central core, and is frequently fatal. It is also called anthrax.
- "The Eustace Diamonds", Anthony Trollope.
- "Wild Flowers Worth Knowing", Neltje Blanchan et al.
- "Life And Letters Of John Gay (1685-1732)", Lewis Melville.