Definition of card:
- A paper on which the points of the compass are marked; the dial or face of the mariner's compass.
- A perforated pasteboard or sheet- metal plate for warp threads, making part of the Jacquard apparatus of a loom. See Jacquard.
- A piece of pasteboard, or thick paper, blank or prepared for various uses; as, a playing card; a visiting card; a card of invitation; pl. a game played with cards.
- A published note, containing a brief statement, explanation, request, expression of thanks, or the like; as, to put a card in the newspapers. Also, a printed programme, and ( fig.), an attraction or inducement; as, this will be a good card for the last day of the fair.
- A roll or sliver of fiber ( as of wool) delivered from a carding machine.
- An indicator card. See under Indicator.
- An instrument for disentangling and arranging the fibers of cotton, wool, flax, etc.; or for cleaning and smoothing the hair of animals; - usually consisting of bent wire teeth set closely in rows in a thick piece of leather fastened to a back.
- To clean or clear, as if by using a card.
- To comb with a card; to cleanse or disentangle by carding; as, to card wool; to card a horse.
- To mix or mingle, as with an inferior or weaker article.
- To play at cards; to game.
flier, billet, ID, original, bill, cod, window card, instrument panel, business, display panel, beak, fiberboard, oddity, eyeshade, measure, broadsheet, quipster, badge, learning ability, carte du jour, nib, display board, tarot cards, tally, computer menu, board, membership, pass, rally, batting order, mailing, neb, voucher, placard, visiting card, wag, square, lineup, police, zany, check-cashing, government note, bill sticker, greeting, visiting, oddball, address, recipe, farceur, billhook, pinochle, paper, character, phone card, tantalise, dining table, bill of fare, identification, notice, tease apart, handbill, circular, calling card, taunt, plaque, registration, notification, bridge, badger, humor, tease, poker, loosen, jokester, observance, control board, automated teller machine, twit, rag, table, bank, add-in, post-horse, peak, charge, usual, posting, carte, banker's bill, banknote, control panel, razz, bait, vizor, throwaway, ATM, beleaguer, note, index, social security, playing, ride, calling, fare, pester, shake, mental capacity, fluff, tag, fortune-telling cards, observation, poster, witticism, label, brain, greenback, bank note, wittiness, filing, humour, account, bug, plank, bank bill, circuit card, sheet, broadside, credit, brainpower, identity card, waggle, cardboard, mentality, invoice, plug-in, show card, gameboard, slip, panel, insurance, tantalize, menu, flyer, bill poster, scorecard, ticket, Bristol board, circuit board, visor, pecker, pasteboard, wit, postcard, check, laughter.
- "The Woman Who Did", Grant Allen.
- "Pebbles on the Shore", Alpha of the Plough (Alfred George Gardiner).
- "The New Magdalen", Wilkie Collins.