Definition of carp :
1. A fresh- water herbivorous fish ( Cyprinus carpio.). Several other species of Cyprinus, Catla, and Carassius are called carp. See Cruclan carp.
2. of Carp
3. To find fault with; to censure.
4. To find fault; to cavil; to censure words or actions without reason or ill- naturedly; - usually followed by at.
5. To say; to tell.
6. To talk; to speak; to prattle.
fish (part of speech: noun)
hake, goby, anchovy, kipper, lamprey, grouper, fluke, marlin, speckled trout, rainbow trout, halibut, mackerel, bowfin, bass, swordfish, trout, tuna, gar, minnow, ray, guppy, salmon, crappie, sole, mudfish, walleye, haddock, sea horse, flounder, fish, char, shark, puffer, whitefish, blackfish, sting ray, eel, bluegill, barracuda, sardine, dogfish, smelt, turbot, tarpon, hammerhead, herring, sunfish, flatfish, cod, catfish, albacore, pickerel, perch, goldfish, sturgeon, pike, sailfish
- I visited it that evening and brought back three carp and two water- hens. - "Narrative of a Voyage to the Northwest Coast of America in the years 1811, 1812, 1813, and 1814 or the First American Settlement on the Pacific", Gabriel Franchere.
- The carp both grows and increases very fast, and is accounted the most valuable of all fish for the stocking of ponds. - "The Book of Household Management", Mrs. Isabella Beeton.
- It contained a regular " miraculous draught," including a Nile carp of about nine pounds. - "Ismailia", Samuel W. Baker.