Definition of carpet:
- A heavy woven or felted fabric, usually of wool, but also of cotton, hemp, straw, etc.; esp. a floor covering made in breadths to be sewed together and nailed to the floor, as distinguished from a rug or mat; originally, also, a wrought cover for tables.
- A smooth soft covering resembling or suggesting a carpet.
- To cover with, or as with, a carpet; to spread with carpets; to furnish with a carpet or carpets.
jute, overlay, Turkoman, rag, Armenian, plush, rug, wall-to-wall carpet, Chinese, damn, area rug, plate, board over, chenille, Turkestan, mohair, fiber, outdoor carpeting, tear someone/something to pieces/shreds, Spanish, Brussels, Polish handwoven, flooring, wax, take/bring/hold someone to task, censure, broadloom, Persian, overspread, tapestry, indoor carpeting, blanket, English handwoven, Oriental, Wilton velvet, Savonnerie, attack, floor covering, paper, bath mat, overlie, layer, tear apart, cover, hearthrug, membrane, varnish, harangue, Chinese-Turkestan, coat, surface, tell off, Moroccan, ingrain, ice, linoleum, paint, Caucasian, Anatolian, velvet, Indo-Persian, plaster, sheet, matting, moquette, cement, savage, carpeting, Damascus, shag, Indian, hit-and-miss rag, castigate, Turkish, hair, tile, Venetian, skin.
- "Amusements in Mathematics", Henry Ernest Dudeney.
- "A Mere Accident", George Moore.
- "Chippinge Borough", Stanley J. Weyman.