Definition of cashmere :
1. A dress fabric made of fine wool, or of fine wool and cotton, in imitation of the original cashmere.
2. A rich stuff for shawls, scarfs, etc., originally made in from the soft wool found beneath the hair of the goats of Cashmere, Thibet, and the Himalayas. Some cashmere, of fine quality, is richly embroidered for sale to Europeans.
fabric (part of speech: adjective)
denim, serge, silk, Acrilan, fleece, chintz, sateen, chenille, crinoline, cheesecloth, damask, challis, herringbone, lame, batik, net, worsted, percale, baize, rayon, tricot, grenadine, cambric, tweed, seersucker, horsehair, burlap, gabardine, suede, felt, Orlon, bunting, broadcloth, Dacron, crepe, gossamer, sacking sailcloth, plaid, Jersey, muslin, tulle, longcloth, sharkskin, foulard, nylon, astrakhan, corduroy, cotton, flannel, velvet, fabric, tarpaulin, madras, satin, wool, linen, oilcloth, moleskin, duffel, canvas, paisley, taffeta, alpaca, chiffon, calico, quilting, gingham, twill, matting, velour, mohair, brocade, Celanese
- But the bitter edge to all her suffering was the feeling which her husband spoke of in the pulpit as " false pride"- the feeling she prayed over fervently yet without avail in church every Sunday- and this was the ignoble terror of being seen on her knees in her old black calico dress before she had gone upstairs again, washed her hands with cornmeal, powdered her face with her pink flannel starchbag, and descended in her breakfast gown of black cashmere or lawn, with a net scarf tied daintily around her thin throat, and a pair of exquisitely darned lace ruffles hiding her wrists. - "Virginia", Ellen Glasgow.
- It is beautiful with those brown leaves; it looks almost like a palm- leaf cashmere shawl. - "Confessions of Boyhood", John Albee.
- Madame Chebe's cashmere was a little more threadbare, the little lilac frock had undergone a few additional repairs, and that was all. - "Fromont and Risler, Complete", Alphonse Daudet Last Updated: March 3, 2009.