Definition of catholic :
1. A person who accepts the creeds which are received in common by all parts of the orthodox Christian church.
2. An adherent of the Roman church; a Roman Catholic.
3. Not narrow- minded, partial, or bigoted; liberal; as, catholic tastes.
4. Of or pertaining to, or affecting the Roman Catholics; as, the emancipation act.
5. Universal or general; as, the catholic faith.
universal, specific, broad-minded, general, limited, open-minded, receptive, worldwide, cosmic, fair, ecumenical, international, rational, worldly, all-inclusive, wide-ranging, reasonable, papist, Roman, global, papal, cultured, pandemic, cosmopolitan, liberal, planetary
- In order to put Paris off its guard, the king and queen promised to be present at a great Catholic festival, in the church of the Assumption in Paris, on the 21st of June; meaning, however, to be off on the 20th. - "The Peasant and the Prince", Harriet Martineau.
- " You're no Catholic, Berkman. - "Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist", Alexander Berkman.
- For the eight- hour day would have to be abandoned unless, as was unlikely, it became general in Europe; and as to the associations, it should always be possible to get in and bring over a " Christian" representative of one of the Labour organisations under the influence of the Catholic Centrum. - "The New Germany", George Young.