Definition of cauliflower :
1. A genus of plants embracing several species and varieties differing much in appearance and qualities: such as the common cabbage ( B. oleracea), broccoli, cauliflowers, etc.; the wild turnip ( B. campestris); the common turnip ( B. rapa); the rape or coleseed ( B. napus), etc.
2. An annual variety of Brassica oleracea, or cabbage, of which the cluster of young flower stalks and buds is eaten as a vegetable.
3. The edible head or curd of a cauliflower plant.
brassica oleracea botrytis
vegetable (part of speech: noun)
sweet potato, green beans, Brussels sprouts, radish, peas, pepper, mushroom, cabbage, chard, turnip, onion, spinach, leek, carrot, squash, yam, celery, vegetable, zucchini, romain, lentils, rice, broccoli, tomato, collard greens, chive, eggplant, string beans, okra, beet, parsley, rutabaga, shallot, pumpkin, potato, lettuce, maize, Lima beans, artichoke, endive, asparagus, corn, parsnip, water cress, beans, cucumber
vegetables (part of speech: noun)
cucumbers, zucchinis, artichokes, carrots, turnips, onions, potatoes, endives, squashes, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, chives, parsnips, eggplants, beets, pumpkins, peppers, rutabagas, shallots, tomatoes, radishes, leeks, vegetables, cabbages, okras, yams
- Henery Walker used to hear of 'im through a relation of his up in London, and tell us all about 'im and his money up at this here " Cauliflower" public- house. - "Short Cruises", W.W. Jacobs.
- We was up 'ere at the " Cauliflower" one evening, and, as it 'appened, we was talking about Henery Walker's great- uncle, when the door opened, and who should walk in but the old gentleman 'imself. - "Short Cruises", W.W. Jacobs.
- Let it simmer very gently until it is thoroughly done; then take it up, strip off the skin, and sprinkle over the bacon a few bread raspings, and garnish with tufts of cauliflower or Brussels sprouts. - "The Book of Household Management", Mrs. Isabella Beeton.