Definition of cavalier:
- A gay, sprightly, military man; hence, a gallant.
- A military man serving on horseback; a knight.
- A work of more than ordinary height, rising from the level ground of a bastion, etc., and overlooking surrounding parts.
- Gay; easy; offhand; frank.
- High- spirited.
- Of or pertaining to the party of King Charles I.
- One of the court party in the time of king Charles I. as contrasted with a Roundhead or an adherent of Parliament.
- Supercilious; haughty; disdainful; curt; brusque.
masterful, high-and-mighty, self-assertive, indifferent, toplofty, huffy, unemotional, pompous, haughty, assumptive, assumptive, neutral, presuming, chevalier, overweening, lofty, presumptuous, pretentious, undemonstrative, chesty, huffish, sniffy, careless, uppity, imperious, impassive, emotionless, peremptory, passive, supercilious, unresponsive, lordly, stiff-necked, nonchalant, important, uppish, restrained, high-hat, controlled, domineering, superior, self-asserting, bumptious, high-handed, blank, monarchist, unceremonious, highfalutin, disdainful.
- "The White Gauntlet", Mayne Reid.
- "Roderick Hudson", Henry James.
- "Round-about Rambles in Lands of Fact and Fancy", Frank Richard Stockton.