Definition of center:
- A conical recess, or indentation, in the end of a shaft or other work, to receive the point of a center, on which the work can turn, as in a lathe.
- A point equally distant from the extremities of a line, figure, or body, or from all parts of the circumference of a circle; the middle point or place.
- A principal or important point of concentration; the nucleus around which things are gathered or to which they tend; an object of attention, action, or force; as, a center of attaction.
- A temporary structure upon which the materials of a vault or arch are supported in position until the work becomes self- supporting.
- Alt. of punch
- Alt. of seal
- One of the two conical steel pins, in a lathe, etc., upon which the work is held, and about which it revolves.
- The earth.
- The middle or central portion of anything.
- Those members of a legislative assembly ( as in France) who support the existing government.
- Those members of a legislative assembly ( as in France) who support the existing government. They sit in the middle of the legislative chamber, opposite the presiding officer, between the conservatives or monarchists, who sit on the right of the speaker, and the radicals or advanced republicans who occupy the seats on his left, See Right, and Left.
mall, cracker bonbon, nerve centre, unite, means, bone marrow, heart and soul, center of attention, circle round, subject matter, midsection, at the halfway point, centre, nerve, circle around, inner, internality, focalise, pore, bosom, unify, revolve about, contract, intensify, flock together, perfume, amount of money, content, join, concentre, medial, deepest, mettle, midriff, burden, sum, piazza, bring to a focus, sum of money, close on, common snapping turtle, union, sum total, center field, headquarters, focus on, digest, decoct, center in, effect, concenter, centerfield, shopping centre, innermost, stub, aggregate, promenade, shopping center, eye, rivet, bottom, totality, spunk, total, halfway, cluster, message, draw together, philia, boil down, marrow squash, substance, tenderness, affection, revolve around, shopping mall, gist, attract, root, center on, consolidate, vegetable marrow, seat, midway, focus attention, channel, centralise, pump, inwardness, interior, gather together, meet, nitty-gritty, place, center around, nerve center, converge upon, combine, focalize, snapper, affectionateness, magnetic core, inmost, internal, centre of attention, sharpen, warmheartedness, reduce, pith, warmness, concentrate on, summation, central, amount, cracker, collect, quick, nubble, start, optic, core group, plaza, oculus, condense, edge, fondness, meaning, bring together, ticker.
- centralize (part of speech: verb)
- middle (part of speech: noun)
- focus (part of speech: verb)
- "Our Legal Heritage, 4th Ed.", S. A. Reilly.
- "Healthful Sports for Boys", Alfred Rochefort.
- "K", Mary Roberts Rinehart.