Definition of certificate :
1. A written declaration legally authenticated.
2. A written testimony to the truth of any fact; as, certificate of good behavior.
3. To furnish with a certificate; as, to certificate the captain of a vessel; a certificated teacher.
4. To verify or vouch for by certificate.
coupon, affirmation, enfranchisement, warrant, concept statement, guarantee, certification, voucher, attestation, company report, exam, testimony, security measures, warranty, authentication, credential, testification, documentation, diploma, blue book, surety, ticket, candidate, endorsement, protection, cheat sheet, confidentiality agreement, record, testament, security, document, deed, examination, crib note, corroboration, borderline, charter, crib, pass, license, mock, instrument, receipt, credentials, affidavit, security department, security measure, examiner, dossier, consent form, testimonial, security system, annual report, docket
- I've just been filling in the certificate: So and so, aged such and such, died of so and so! - "Moonbeams From the Larger Lunacy", Stephen Leacock.
- How about a medical certificate? - "The Firm of Girdlestone", Arthur Conan Doyle.
- And a young gentleman he will still remain; for, you may depend on it, the captain intends to get him placed on the quarter- deck; and, though he himself has retired from the service, he has interest enough to get me and the lads appointed to some ship commanded by a friend of his own; and I flatter myself that, from the certificate I got from my last captain, he will have no difficulty about that. - "The Loss of the Royal George", W.H.G. Kingston.