Definition of chair :
1. A movable single seat with a back.
2. A vehicle for one person; either a sedan borne upon poles, or two- wheeled carriage, drawn by one horse; a gig.
3. An iron block used on railways to support the rails and secure them to the sleepers.
4. An official seat, as of a chief magistrate or a judge, but esp. that of a professor; hence, the office itself.
5. The presiding officer of an assembly; a chairman; as, to address the chair.
6. To carry publicly in a chair in triumph.
7. To place in a chair.
prexy, go, space, extend, room, headship, guide, run, mince, moderator, chairperson, director, take, temper, monitor, position, hot seat, place, soften, contribute, authority, couch, conduce, pass, leave, moderate, chairwoman, curb, fellowship, direct, professorship, administrator, chasten, president, master of ceremonies, death chair, tame, leader, tone down, execution, top, chairman, lead, check, precede, hold, head, principal, hold in, speaker, control, contain, result, captain, conduct, electric chair
chair (part of speech: noun)
hassock, saddle, pew, act as chair, dining chair, recliner, bucket seat, manage, furniture, preside, sedan chair, lounge chair, stool, seat, bar stool, rocker, lawn chair, rumble seat, armchair, swivel chair, swing, sofa, throne, ottoman, campstool, bench, deck chair, straight chair
- Sit down in that chair, my dear. - "April Hopes", William Dean Howells Last Updated: February 27, 2009.
- She left her chair and cried: 'As you will. - "The Tragic Comedians, Complete", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
- Suddenly there was a great noise behind Lakamba's chair. - "An Outcast of the Islands", Joseph Conrad.