Definition of chair:
- A movable single seat with a back.
- A vehicle for one person; either a sedan borne upon poles, or two- wheeled carriage, drawn by one horse; a gig.
- An iron block used on railways to support the rails and secure them to the sleepers.
- An official seat, as of a chief magistrate or a judge, but esp. that of a professor; hence, the office itself.
- The presiding officer of an assembly; a chairman; as, to address the chair.
- To carry publicly in a chair in triumph.
- To place in a chair.
prexy, go, space, extend, room, headship, guide, run, mince, moderator, chairperson, director, take, temper, monitor, position, hot seat, place, soften, contribute, authority, couch, conduce, pass, leave, moderate, chairwoman, curb, fellowship, direct, professorship, administrator, chasten, president, master of ceremonies, death chair, tame, leader, tone down, execution, top, chairman, lead, check, precede, hold, head, principal, hold in, speaker, control, contain, result, captain, conduct, electric chair.
- chair (part of speech: noun)
- "April Hopes", William Dean Howells Last Updated: February 27, 2009.
- "The Tragic Comedians, Complete", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
- "An Outcast of the Islands", Joseph Conrad.