Definition of chance:
- A possibility; a likelihood; an opportunity; - with reference to a doubtful result; as, a chance to escape; a chance for life; the chances are all against him.
- A supposed material or psychical agent or mode of activity other than a force, law, or purpose; fortune; fate; - in this sense often personified.
- By chance; perchance.
- Happening by chance; casual.
- The operation or activity of such agent.
- The supposed effect of such an agent; something that befalls, as the result of unknown or unconsidered forces; the issue of uncertain conditions; an event not calculated upon; an unexpected occurrence; a happening; accident; fortuity; casualty.
- To befall; to happen to.
- To happen, come, or arrive, without design or expectation.
- To take the chances of; to venture upon; - usually with it as object.
guess, unwitting, pretend, recover, come about, possibilities, medical prognosis, future, happening, bump, go on, befall, expectation, surprise, likely, circumstances, opportunity, observe, happenchance, outlook, drift, relegate, probability, adventure, inadvertent, by accident, threat, spontaneous, get, candidate, encounter, run across, pass off, risk, casualty, rush into, destiny, coincidental, hazard, discover, fall into, scope, occur, tumble on, regain, bechance, retrieve, misfortune, obtain, determine, ascertain, mishap, portion, feel, take place, window of opportunity, casual, sporting chance, attempt, unintended, unpremeditated, run into, incidental, run the risk (of something), fall out, aspect, receive, disaster, meet, study at random, take on, find oneself, lay on the line, throw/cast caution to the wind(s), try, come across, lot, improvise, jeopardize, the initiative, pass, misadventure, jeopardy, arbitrary, happen, see, occasion, dare, dislodge, meet up with, instinctive, fortune, unplanned, plunge in, peril, calamity, break, panorama, prognosis, detect, fortuitousness, promise, plunge into, luck, shot, put on the line, notice, accidental, line up, contingency, come up, take chances, opening, run a risk, prospect, materialise, choice, kick downstairs, involuntary, hap, scene, happen to do something, live dangerously, stake, play, safety, access, rule, gamble, get hold, witness, knock, potentiality, materialize, vista, endangerment, incur, stumble into, find out, certain, demote, view, impromptu, odds, bump into, tumble into, take a chance, incident, find.
- accidental (part of speech: adjective)
- chancy (part of speech: adjective)
- probability (part of speech: noun)
- chance (part of speech: verb)