Definition of chant:
- A psalm, etc., arranged for chanting.
- A short and simple melody, divided into two parts by double bars, to which unmetrical psalms, etc., are sung or recited. It is the most ancient form of choral music.
- Song; melody.
- To celebrate in song.
- To make melody with the voice; to sing.
- To sing or recite after the manner of a chant, or to a tune called a chant.
- To sing, as in reciting a chant.
- To utter with a melodious voice; to sing.
- Twang; manner of speaking; a canting tone.
tone up, mantra, Gregorian chant, cantillate, carol, hymn, intone, warble, sing, modulate, sounds, singsong, incantation, vocalize, chirrup, strengthen, intonate, tone, plainsong, tune, song, inflect, chirp, chorus.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "Three Sioux Scouts", Elmer Russell Gregor.
- "Shakespeare and Music", Christopher Wilson.