Definition of character :
1. A distinctive mark; a letter, figure, or symbol.
2. A unique or extraordinary individuality; a person characterized by peculiar or notable traits; a person who illustrates certain phases of character; as, Randolph was a character; Caesar is a great historical character.
3. A written statement as to behavior, competency, etc., given to a servant.
4. Moral quality; the principles and motives that control the life; as, a man of character; his character saves him from suspicion.
5. One of the persons of a drama or novel.
6. Quality, position, rank, or capacity; quality or conduct with respect to a certain office or duty; as, in the miserable character of a slave; in his character as a magistrate; her character as a daughter.
7. Strength of mind; resolution; independence; individuality; as, he has a great deal of character.
8. Style of writing or printing; handwriting; the peculiar form of letters used by a particular person or people; as, an inscription in the Runic character.
9. The estimate, individual or general, put upon a person or thing; reputation; as, a man's character for truth and veracity; to give one a bad character.
10. The peculiar quality, or the sum of qualities, by which a person or a thing is distinguished from others; the stamp impressed by nature, education, or habit; that which a person or thing really is; nature; disposition.
11. To distinguish by particular marks or traits; to describe; to characterize.
12. To engrave; to inscribe.
record, lineament, face, eccentric, roughage, citation, caliber, glamor, theatrical role, customer, grain, caseful, habit, note, tone, bigwig, goodness, case, event, differentia, crack, quiz, oddity, estimation, predictable, lion, your fellow man/men, leader, timbre, probity, notable, dog, life, frame, devil, head case, someone, cookie, percentage, man, fame, rep, constituent, VIP, emoticon, fiber, guy, aspect, reference work, individualism, zany, heroine, gallantry, showcase, mark, MARKS, part, slip, acknowledgment, sheath, pillow slip, source, compositor's case, bravado, nutcase, eponymous, purpose, genius, fibre, makeup, facet, appearance, being, scout, carriage return, usual, rightness, property, temper, baddy, crank, stiff, spirit, vein, hash, address, complexion, heavyweight, sort, style, criterion, point of reference, quotation, section, honor, mortal, head, piece, backslash, original, persona, vulcanized fiber, trait, subject, society, reference, lure, aura, fish, glyph, recommendation, mention, hero, humor, expected, typeface, turn, be, principle, appeal, vitrine, person, factor, narrator, grapheme, rectitude, ingenue, pluck, notability, product, specimen, clay, ambience, angle bracket, component, display case, fictitious character, climate, role, use, specific, flake, office, weirdo, calibre, type, self-identity, virtue, oddball, touch, forward slash, egg, parting, support, credit, savor, soul, good looks, dignitary, muckamuck, fingerprint, righteousness, casing, shell, people, courage, codger, kook, name, actor, heroism, allure, hallmark, folk, grammatical case, cause, eminence, causa, dramatis personae, bravery, baby, division, instance, glitz, typesetter's case, crackpot, fictional character, specialty, human being, antihero, human, denotation, self, selfhood, attribute, computer address, heroics, singularity, particularity, pillowcase, shape, book of facts, big shot, colors, variety, personage, the many, quality, charm, honesty, component part, voice, card, duck, humanity, screwball, integrity, marker, region, report, font, streak, identity, extension, reference book, nabob, nobility, virtuousness, affection, guinea pig, odor, bod, testimonial, crackbrain, reference point, portion, function, bird, air, cast, attribution, geek, complex, diagnostic, Jekyll and Hyde, uprightness, wight, graphic symbol, suit, character reference, mixture, magnetism, decency, backbone, creature, sense, characteristic, real, important, nerve, species, atmosphere, strong, feature, determination, respect, cite, timber, fruitcake, dot, lawsuit, nut, big-timer, example, body, icon, hashtag, consultation, bad guy, individual, emblem, fount, image, somebody, share, contribution, mood, nutter, daring, egg timer, party, attitude, big wheel, slob, mystique, point, eccentric person, thing, constitution, badge, stamp, charisma
character (part of speech: noun)
number (part of speech: noun)
reputation (part of speech: noun)
letter (part of speech: noun)
- You are certainly a character. - "Amusement Only", Richard Marsh.
- " You will think so again," said the Bishop, " when you realize that the book has left its mark and influence upon your character. - "Red Pottage", Mary Cholmondeley.
- You don't understand his character. - "The Heart of Una Sackville", Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey.