Definition of character:
- A distinctive mark; a letter, figure, or symbol.
- A unique or extraordinary individuality; a person characterized by peculiar or notable traits; a person who illustrates certain phases of character; as, Randolph was a character; Caesar is a great historical character.
- A written statement as to behavior, competency, etc., given to a servant.
- Moral quality; the principles and motives that control the life; as, a man of character; his character saves him from suspicion.
- One of the persons of a drama or novel.
- Quality, position, rank, or capacity; quality or conduct with respect to a certain office or duty; as, in the miserable character of a slave; in his character as a magistrate; her character as a daughter.
- Strength of mind; resolution; independence; individuality; as, he has a great deal of character.
- Style of writing or printing; handwriting; the peculiar form of letters used by a particular person or people; as, an inscription in the Runic character.
- The estimate, individual or general, put upon a person or thing; reputation; as, a man's character for truth and veracity; to give one a bad character.
- The peculiar quality, or the sum of qualities, by which a person or a thing is distinguished from others; the stamp impressed by nature, education, or habit; that which a person or thing really is; nature; disposition.
- To distinguish by particular marks or traits; to describe; to characterize.
- To engrave; to inscribe.
determination, timber, egg, event, forward slash, criterion, caseful, makeup, denotation, antihero, narrator, scout, angle bracket, contribution, be, bravery, crackpot, specialty, aspect, typesetter's case, touch, big-timer, self-identity, oddball, odor, clay, someone, frame, glyph, trait, colors, slip, spirit, point of reference, vein, man, image, usual, actor, guy, appearance, heroine, citation, hash, original, pillowcase, fiber, crackbrain, lawsuit, rectitude, sheath, particularity, backbone, cause, record, affection, honesty, facet, specific, probity, climate, cookie, division, virtuousness, singularity, pillow slip, fame, reference, body, typeface, hallmark, habit, icon, sort, leader, fruitcake, graphic symbol, property, support, voice, eminence, courage, bod, head case, vitrine, type, zany, nut, humanity, bigwig, nutcase, variety, percentage, cast, quiz, life, hashtag, real, emoticon, creature, fictional character, differentia, acknowledgment, stamp, subject, heavyweight, mark, card, reference point, rep, devil, share, virtue, lineament, computer address, quotation, complexion, cite, shape, temper, aura, quality, muckamuck, role, glamor, point, ambience, eccentric, fictitious character, predictable, savor, emblem, party, attribution, fish, glitz, mood, being, kook, duck, eccentric person, example, mixture, strong, nerve, good looks, geek, address, attribute, characteristic, crank, rightness, appeal, identity, factor, personage, human, suit, name, individualism, component part, heroics, dignitary, calibre, style, VIP, constitution, display case, customer, decency, oddity, roughage, integrity, MARKS, thing, part, sense, head, codger, air, recommendation, consultation, turn, casing, weirdo, mortal, lure, backslash, purpose, caliber, parting, notable, selfhood, nabob, marker, compositor's case, baby, streak, estimation, tone, attitude, uprightness, slob, lion, product, instance, grammatical case, flake, folk, section, righteousness, theatrical role, allure, use, office, human being, carriage return, complex, notability, big shot, persona, reference work, note, shell, nobility, dramatis personae, credit, principle, piece, mention, eponymous, reference book, ingenue, component, baddy, usual, dot, egg timer, person, charisma, stiff, diagnostic, magnetism, specimen, respect, font, character reference, bravado, case, timbre, your fellow man/men, screwball, bird, fount, nutter, guinea pig, testimonial, feature, region, causa, hero, pluck, crack, book of facts, people, report, portion, society, face, dog, fingerprint, important, species, big wheel, daring, atmosphere, mystique, individual, Jekyll and Hyde, genius, bad guy, charm, goodness, honor, grain, grapheme, the many, fibre, function, badge, self, gallantry, constituent, vulcanized fiber, source, extension, soul, humor, somebody, wight, heroism, showcase, expected.
- character (part of speech: noun)
- number (part of speech: noun)
- reputation (part of speech: noun)
- letter (part of speech: noun)
- "Amusement Only", Richard Marsh.
- "Red Pottage", Mary Cholmondeley.
- "The Heart of Una Sackville", Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey.