Definition of characteristic:
- A distinguishing trait, quality, or property; an element of character; that which characterized.
- Pertaining to, or serving to constitute, the character; showing the character, or distinctive qualities or traits, of a person or thing; peculiar; distinctive.
- The integral part ( whether positive or negative) of a logarithm.
symptomatic, indication, typical, symbolic, differentiating, feature film, ineradicable, inherent, sign, character, normal, same, unique, emblematic, individualizing, attribute, inbred, device characteristic, peculiar, fixed, in the blood, exclusive, vintage, feature of speech, individualistic, distinctive, essential, ingrained, feature, diacritical, discriminative, inseparable, inborn, appropriate, identifying, signature, singularity, indicative, innate, trademark, distinguishing, feature article, natural, true to form, distinction, native, personal, representative, lineament, diagnostic, original, marked, symptomatic of, private, trace.
- special (part of speech: adjective)
- specialty (part of speech: noun)
- "Around the World with Josiah Allen's Wife", Marietta Holley.
- "Rousseau Volumes I. and II.", John Morley.
- "The Twelfth Hour", Ada Leverson.