Definition of characteristic :
1. A distinguishing trait, quality, or property; an element of character; that which characterized.
2. Pertaining to, or serving to constitute, the character; showing the character, or distinctive qualities or traits, of a person or thing; peculiar; distinctive.
3. The integral part ( whether positive or negative) of a logarithm.
typical, representative, in the blood, native, exclusive, feature film, symptomatic, emblematic, device characteristic, trademark, normal, feature of speech, singularity, trace, signature, individualistic, inherent, diagnostic, discriminative, essential, inborn, unique, sign, ingrained, innate, appropriate, private, marked, personal, identifying, attribute, indication, natural, indicative, symbolic, inseparable, original, differentiating, true to form, distinctive, lineament, distinction, diacritical, fixed, inbred, ineradicable, individualizing, vintage, feature article, symptomatic of, same, character
special (part of speech: adjective)
specialty (part of speech: noun)
hallmark, quality, particularity, individuality, cachet, peculiarity, mannerism, idiosyncrasy, figure, feature, stamp, specialization, property, way, difference, flavor, keynote, forte, quirk, trait, specialty, discriminant, definiteness, mark
- The characteristic illustrations of their adventures by C. Grunwald are great. - "Around the World with Josiah Allen's Wife", Marietta Holley.
- The scene is characteristic. - "Rousseau Volumes I. and II.", John Morley.
- The incident had afterwards seemed very characteristic of the two girls, and he often thought of it.... - "The Twelfth Hour", Ada Leverson.