Definition of checkmate:
- A complete check; utter defeat or overthrow.
- The position in the game of chess when a king is in check and cannot be released, - which ends the game.
- To check ( an adversary's king) in such a manner that escape in impossible; to defeat ( an adversary) by putting his king in check from which there is no escape.
- To defeat completely; to terminate; to thwart.
partner, teammate, spouse, check, overmatch, fellow, worst, married person, first mate, cross, prevail over, pair, discomfit, counter, cut the ground from under, frustrate, put down, mate, better half, reduce, copulate, allow, thwart, baffle, balk, subjugate, check, match, stymie, stump, down, overmaster, twin, thwart, couple.
- defeat (part of speech: verb)
- victory (part of speech: noun)
end (part of speech: verb)
- pass on,
- wrap up,
- pass away,
They have accordingly developed such a passion for " regularity," such an intense conviction that there must be but one union in a given trade that, on occasions, scheming labor officials have known how to checkmate a justifiable insurgent movement by a skillful play upon this curious hypertrophy of the feeling of solidarity.- "A History of Trade Unionism in the United States", Selig Perlman.
- "In the Mayor's Parlour", J. S. (Joseph Smith) Fletcher.
- "Personal Recollections, from Early Life to Old Age, of Mary Somerville", Mary Somerville.