Definition of chill:
- A check to enthusiasm or warmth of feeling; discouragement; as, a chill comes over an assembly.
- A moderate but disagreeable degree of cold; a disagreeable sensation of coolness, accompanied with shivering.
- A sensation of cold with convulsive shaking of the body, pinched face, pale skin, and blue lips, caused by undue cooling of the body or by nervous excitement, or forming the precursor of some constitutional disturbance, as of a fever.
- Affected by cold.
- An iron mold or portion of a mold, serving to cool rapidly, and so to harden, the surface of molten iron brought in contact with it.
- Characterized by coolness of manner, feeling, etc.; lacking enthusiasm or warmth; formal; distant; as, a chill reception.
- Discouraging; depressing; dispiriting.
- Moderately cold; tending to cause shivering; chilly; raw.
- The hardened part of a casting, as the tread of a car wheel.
- To become surface- hardened by sudden cooling while solidifying; as, some kinds of cast iron chill to a greater depth than others.
- To check enthusiasm or warmth of feeling of; to depress; to discourage.
- To produce, by sudden cooling, a change of crystallization at or near the surface of, so as to increase the hardness; said of cast iron.
- To strike with a chill; to make chilly; to cause to shiver; to affect with cold.
withdrawn, somber, aetiology, frisson, lonesome, split up, desolate, cerement, discharge, clammy, disconsolate, thrill, algid, brittle, darkening, bask, sepulchral, leave, elegiac, dreich, raw, hot, sullen, dark, panic, butchery, charge, cheerless, lounge around, ice-cold, sit back, solemn, bang, shake, fear, aloof, blood poisoning, tingle, wind down, bone, mantle, morose, bitter, cool off, dispirit, defriend, shivery, bite, menacing, crisis, cold-eyed, shroud, blend, cold-blooded, tremor, lonely, beriberi, offish, bake, godforsaken, finish with, terror, relax, undemonstrative, alarm, aetiology, break up, frigid, shaking, winding-clothes, curtain, polar, shiver, startle, drop, coolish, apprehension, scary, anthrax, attitude, break off, pall, distant, shakiness, brisk, shake up, Cimmerian, prickling, dread, dreary, botulism, freezing, depressing, awesome, numbing, formal, drear, frighten/scare the wits out of someone, sunless, chilly, frightening, eerie, tingling, glacial, unfriendly, ghastly, drapery, hallucination, beat, perforation, intimidating, antiseptic, tenebrous, wretched, cloudy, etiology, black, rest, quiver, Alzheimer's disease, gelidity, boot, quivering, scare, shudder, chilling, miserable, unapproachable, indifferent, idle away, appendicitis, funereal, dehydration, recharge your batteries, dump, forlorn, vibration, anorexia, frighten, remote, complication, depressive, altitude sickness, cool, glum, saturnine, chilliness, unsympathetic, snappy, laze, while away, frozen, frosty, alarming, drape, reserved, sharp, standoffish, terrify, murky, cut off, solitary, hard-eyed, iciness, comfortless, bronchitis, blanch, frigidness, wintry, arctic, winding-sheet, bleak, rush, morbid, pathology, reticent, nipping, carve, tremble, uncommunicative, fall out, coldish, butter, bone-chilling, dire, cool down, gelid, fright, spooky, icy, palpitation, ague, kick, nippy, lugubrious, flush, trembling, tenebrific, chilled/frozen to the bone, gray, shivering, plutonian, horror.
- cool (part of speech: verb)
- depressing (part of speech: verb)
- cold (part of speech: noun)
- dissuade (part of speech: verb)
- refrigerate (part of speech: verb)
- kill (part of speech: verb)