Definition of chime:
- A set of bells musically tuned to each other; specif., in the pl., the music performed on such a set of bells by hand, or produced by mechanism to accompany the striking of the hours or their divisions.
- Pleasing correspondence of proportion, relation, or sound.
- See Chine, n., 3.
- The harmonious sound of bells, or of musical instruments.
- To be in harmony; to agree; to suit; to harmonize; to correspond; to fall in with.
- To cause to sound in harmony; to play a tune, as upon a set of bells; to move or strike in harmony.
- To join in a conversation; to express assent; - followed by in or in with.
- To make a rude correspondence of sounds; to jingle, as in rhyming.
- To sound in harmonious accord, as bells.
- To utter harmoniously; to recite rhythmically.
agree, fit, campana, conformation, congruity, conformity, gong, harmonization, bong, congruence, knell, comport with, bell shape, quadrate, toll, strike, accord, clang, harmonize, tam-tam, consist, doorbell, bell, buzzer, tinkle, check, ship's bell, match, square, harmony, correspond, conformance, ring, sound, tally, conform, ring, agreement, correspondence, jibe, accordance, keeping, peal.
- "The Ship of Stars", Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
Of happy times count more, Admit these four: A flower of promise rich with day, A son with victories that wear A halo on his mother's way: And friends whose hearts ring like a chime Across the world at Christmas time.- "Ballads of Peace in War", Michael Earls.
- "The Eye of Osiris", R. Austin Freeman.