Definition of chit:
- A child or babe; as, a forward chit; also, a young, small, or insignificant person or animal.
- A small tool used in cleaving laths.
- Alt. of Chitty
- An excrescence on the body, as a wart.
- The embryo or the growing bud of a plant; a shoot; a sprout; as, the chits of Indian corn or of potatoes.
- To shoot out; to sprout.
lozenge, stop, arrest, stoppage, hitch, yellow journalism, curb, chip, bank check, halt, pill, deterrent, hinderance, hindrance, tick, tablet, handicap, check-out procedure, tab, check, confirmation, assay, verification, balk, bridle, baulk, tabloid, impediment, tab key, cheque, checkout, stay, check mark, substantiation.
- "The Story of Louie", Oliver Onions.
- "The Wrong Twin", Harry Leon Wilson.
The red- haired young lady had made her fetch us a large scrap- book, and we sat with this before our eyes, and the soft monotonous chit- chat of our hostess in our ears, as she talked and worked with some elder ladies on the sofa.- "Mrs. Overtheway's Remembrances", Juliana Horatia Ewing.