Definition of chivalry :
1. A body or order of cavaliers or knights serving on horseback; illustrious warriors, collectively; cavalry.
2. A tenure of lands by knight's service; that is, by the condition of a knight's performing service on horseback, or of performing some noble or military service to his lord.
4. The dignity or system of knighthood; the spirit, usages, or manners of knighthood; the practice of knight- errantry.
5. The qualifications or character of knights, as valor, dexterity in arms, courtesy, etc.
gallantry, heroism, breeding, chivalrousness, attitude, tact, valiancy, grace, courage, valiance, knightliness, politesse, dignity, valour, fairness, decorum, courtesy, honor, valor, valorousness, civility, gentility
- In despair of reaching it, hundreds threw themselves into the flooded stream, but few reached the further shore: among the drowned was that flower of Polish chivalry, Prince Poniatowski. - "The Life of Napoleon I (Volumes, 1 and 2)", John Holland Rose.
- As for me, I promise you on my order of chivalry, that if you set it on fire tomorrow, I will give you everything I said I would, and more." - "The White Knight: Tirant lo Blanc", Joanot Martorell and Marti Johan d'Galba.
- There was in him too much of the essence of the highest chivalry to permit such things. - "The Eagle's Heart", Hamlin Garland.