Definition of church:
- A body of Christian believers, holding the same creed, observing the same rites, and acknowledging the same ecclesiastical authority; a denomination; as, the Roman Catholic church; the Presbyterian church.
- A building set apart for Christian worship.
- A formally organized body of Christian believers worshiping together.
- A Jewish or heathen temple.
- Any body of worshipers; as, the Jewish church; the church of Brahm.
- The aggregate of religious influences in a community; ecclesiastical influence, authority, etc.; as, to array the power of the church against some moral evil.
- The collective body of Christians.
- To bless according to a prescribed form, or to unite with in publicly returning thanks in church, as after deliverance from the dangers of childbirth; as, the churching of women.
Mass, cult, ordinance, communion, rite, faction, body, faith, religion, denomination, service, liturgy, congregation, duty, sanctuary, evensong, doctrine, vespers, belief, chapter, Christianity, order, oratory, sacrament, office, fellowship, creed, church service, Christian Church, church building, sermon, mission, sect, ism, persuasion, affiliation, exercises, ritual, ceremony, gathering, devotions.
- religious building (part of speech: noun)