Definition of citizen:
- A person, native or naturalized, of either sex, who owes allegiance to a government, and is entitled to reciprocal protection from it.
- An inhabitant of a city; a townsman.
- Having the condition or qualities of a citizen, or of citizens; as, a citizen soldiery.
- Of or pertaining to the inhabitants of a city; characteristic of citizens; effeminate; luxurious.
- One who enjoys the freedom and privileges of a city; a freeman of a city, as distinguished from a foreigner, or one not entitled to its franchises.
- One who is domiciled in a country, and who is a citizen, though neither native nor naturalized, in such a sense that he takes his legal status from such country.
countryman, citizenry, national, group, citizenship, birthright, subject, city slicker, suburbanite, townsfolk, townspeople, urban warrior, community, the body politic, countrywoman, townie, politics.
inhabitant (part of speech: noun)
- John Q Public,
- Jane Q Public,
- naturalized person,
- registered voter,
- member of the body politic,
- the man in the street,
- member of the community,
- "Short Stories and Essays From "Literature and Life"", William Dean Howells.
- "Ulysses", James Joyce.
- "The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, Vol. 1 (of 2)", Jefferson Davis.