Definition of clan :
1. A clique; a sect, society, or body of persons; esp., a body of persons united by some common interest or pursuit; - sometimes used contemptuously.
2. A tribe or collection of families, united under a chieftain, regarded as having the same common ancestor, and bearing the same surname; as, the clan of Macdonald.
category (part of speech: noun)
grain, sort, kind, denomination, kingdom, step, persuasion, stock, type, species, make, grade, rank, feather, classification, form, stamp, mold, people, phylum, race, style, class, level, ilk, genus, series, caste, brand, breed, line, category, variety, stripe, taxonomy, order, genotype, label, degree, strain, designation
kinship (part of speech: noun)
brother, brotherhood, motherhood, father, family, flesh, aunt, kin, kinfolk, paternity, uncle, kinship, cousin, niece, lineage, fatherhood, sister, consanguinity, maternity, nephew, relation, relative, sisterhood, mother, ancestor, heredity, blood
crew (part of speech: noun)
covey, herd, force, detail, division, troop, posse, fellowship, cell, retinue, litter, flock, fleet, bunch, colony, wing, band, coterie, battalion, detachment, fraternity, group, sect, team, caucus, society, crowd, union, collection, assemblage, outfit, party, pack, junta, coalition, school, circle, regiment, nest, platoon, hive, phalanx, army, set, string, complement, gang, tribe, crew, league, faction, body, ring, staff, host, cadre, aggregation, brigade, drove, mob, bevy, troupe, cabal, club, clique, assembly, squad, company
- In all great battles, triumph oft doth hinge On questions small, but oft of great import; No matter if the sacrifice be great, So long as victory doth greet our clan. - "'A Comedy of Errors' in Seven Acts", Spokeshave (AKA Old Fogy).
- We think of a particular house or village where we were born and where we spent our impressionable days of childhood; these others regard home not as a geographical but as a social centre, liable to shift from place to place; they are at home everywhere, so long as their clan is about them. - "Old Calabria", Norman Douglas.
- Most of the Albanians forsook Christianity and are among the most fanatical and warlike upholders of Islam; but in their turbulent clan- life they often defy the authority of the Sultan, and uphold it only in order to keep their supremacy over the hated and despised Greeks and Bulgars on their outskirts. - "The Development of the European Nations, 1870-1914 (5th ed.)", John Holland Rose.