Definition of clay :
1. A soft earth, which is plastic, or may be molded with the hands, consisting of hydrous silicate of aluminium. It is the result of the wearing down and decomposition, in part, of rocks containing aluminous minerals, as granite. Lime, magnesia, oxide of iron, and other ingredients, are often present as impurities.
2. Earth in general, as representing the elementary particles of the human body; hence, the human body as formed from such particles.
3. To clarify by filtering through clay, as sugar.
4. To cover or manure with clay.
Lucius Clay, argil, stiff, clayware, corpse, frame, bole, the Great Compromiser, system, porcelain clay, Lucius DuBignon Clay, henry clay, dust, earth, pottery, slip, mud, china clay, ashes, remains, body, green pottery, green brick, kaolin, loam, adobe, marl, trunk, till, terra cotta, form, cadaver, argillaceous earth, wacke, carcass
mineral (part of speech: noun)
coal, calcite, lime, mica, talcum, chromite, bauxite, cryolite, azurite, iolite, lazurite, peat, asbestos, alabaster, fool's gold, fluorspar, corundum, silicate, silica, feldspar, obsidian, glauconite, garnet, barite, selenite, gypsum, fluorite, quicklime, kaolinite, aragonite, carbon, spar, mineral, lignite, pitchblende, pyroxene, pyrite, pumice, hornblende, molybdenite, brookite, magnesite, orthoclase, crystal, chlorite, salt, cobalt, emery, boron, brimstone, quartz, coke, ozocerite, graphite, vermiculite, sulfur, chalcedony, diatomite, rhodonite, manganese
- Most of the other guests are also shown smoking long clay pipes. - "The Social History of Smoking", G. L. Apperson.
- In this form the clay is carried to the pueblo. - "The Bontoc Igorot", Albert Ernest Jenks.
- One head man was very like Henry Clay, both in face and figure. - "Journal of an African Cruiser", Horatio Bridge.