Definition of click:
- A detent, pawl, or ratchet, as that which catches the cogs of a ratchet wheel to prevent backward motion. See Illust. of Ratched wheel.
- A kind of articulation used by the natives of Southern Africa, consisting in a sudden withdrawal of the end or some other portion of the tongue from a part of the mouth with which it is in contact, whereby a sharp, clicking sound is produced. The sounds are four in number, and are called cerebral, palatal, dental, and lateral clicks or clucks, the latter being the noise ordinarily used in urging a horse forward.
- A slight sharp noise, such as is made by the cocking of a pistol.
- The latch of a door.
- To cause to make a clicking noise, as by striking together, or against something.
- To make a slight, sharp noise ( or a succession of such noises), as by gentle striking; to tick.
- To move with the sound of a click.
- To snatch.
fathom, wrap up, beat, permeate, jailhouse, penetrate, confabulate, chaffer, noise, riff, riddle, clear up, blackguard, pawl, get over, cover, leaf, clatter, track, slammer, mark, snatch, dawn, chink, cluck, come home, cut through, finish off, fall into place, poky, shoot the breeze, break down, perforate, percolate, imbue, mop up, frump, rupture, pokey, firedog, tick, mouse click, prate, photograph, get hold of, flicker, riffle, clack, shoot, jail, ticktack, lose it, get through, brattle, mark off, prattle, sounds, palaver, pervade, claver, cad, gabble, jaw, snarl, diffuse, traverse, hotdog, chatter, blabber, put over, tear, confab, dog-iron, come off, bust, gibber, chitchat, flip, reach, chit-chat, retick, ruffle, chat, weenie, hot dog, get across, go, go over, cut across, wiener, filter, gaol, relate, sink in, suction stop, pass over, tick off, chew the fat, connect, infiltrate, ticktock, polish off, while away, check off, blab, work, flick, frank, bottom, pan out, come through, piffle, domestic dog, work out, check, contact, dog, maunder, interpenetrate, succeed, bounder, gossip, snatch up, thrive, clink, cross, finish up, visit, communicate, snap, twaddle, natter, frankfurter, wienerwurst, andiron, jerk, tittle-tattle, detent, heel, tattle, hound, claver, thumb.
- "Shan Folk Lore Stories from the Hill and Water Country", William C. Griggs.
- "Mrs. Overtheway's Remembrances", Juliana Horatia Ewing.
- "The King in Yellow", Robert W. Chambers.