Definition of close :
1. A double bar marking the end.
2. A grapple in wrestling.
3. A narrow passage leading from a street to a court, and the houses within.
4. Accurate; careful; precise; also, attentive; undeviating; strict; not wandering; as, a close observer.
5. Adhering strictly to a standard or original; exact; strict; as, a close translation.
6. Adjoining; near; either in space; time, or thought; - often followed by to.
7. An inclosed place; especially, a small field or piece of land surrounded by a wall, hedge, or fence of any kind; - specifically, the precinct of a cathedral or abbey.
8. Concise; to the point; as, close reasoning.
9. Conclusion; cessation; ending; end.
10. Difficult to obtain; as, money is close.
11. Disposed to keep secrets; secretive; reticent.
12. Having the parts near each other; dense; solid; compact; as applied to bodies; viscous; tenacious; not volatile, as applied to liquids.
13. In a close manner.
14. Intimate; familiar; confidential.
15. Narrow; confined; as, a close alley; close quarters.
16. Nearly equal; almost evenly balanced; as, a close vote.
17. Oppressive; without motion or ventilation; causing a feeling of lassitude; - said of the air, weather, etc.
18. Out of the way observation; secluded; secret; hidden.
19. Parsimonious; stingy.
20. Secretly; darkly.
21. Short; as, to cut grass or hair close.
22. Shut fast; closed; tight; as, a close box.
23. Strictly confined; carefully quarded; as, a close prisoner.
24. The conclusion of a strain of music; cadence.
25. The interest which one may have in a piece of ground, even though it is not inclosed.
26. The manner of shutting; the union of parts; junction.
27. To bring to an end or period; to conclude; to complete; to finish; to end; to consummate; as, to close a bargain; to close a course of instruction.
28. To bring together the parts of; to consolidate; as, to close the ranks of an army; - often used with up.
29. To come or gather around; to inclose; to encompass; to confine.
30. To come together; to unite or coalesce, as the parts of a wound, or parts separated.
31. To end, terminate, or come to a period; as, the debate closed at six o'clock.
32. To grapple; to engage in hand- to- hand fight.
33. To stop, or fill up, as an opening; to shut; as, to close the eyes; to close a door.
34. Uttered with a relatively contracted opening of the mouth, as certain sounds of e and o in French, Italian, and German; - opposed to open.
spare, fine, button up, besotted, pinchpenny, probable, business plan, culture, crocked, bid price, boney, pie-eyed, at hand, plastered, uncommunicative, capacity, bear market, beauty parade, pinching, rigorous, closelipped, paralinguistic, about, bangs, hot, emulate, boon, sure, sticky, fold up, turn off, in the short run/term, tight-mouthed, keep mum, closer, alleyway, slopped, one-to-one, strict, turn up, assemble, fuse, seal off, snug, breathless, shut your ears to something, fold your arms/hands, withdrawal, attach, cut off, fill up, sloshed, shutdown, turn a deaf ear (to), solid, business, next, incommunicable, jam-packed, tight-fitting, display, shut up, legitimate, pixilated, hook into, closing curtain, occlude, bind, anesthetize, close-set, nearest, cozy, inseparable, emotionless, keep out, blind alley, closefisted, costive, buddy-buddy, close off, closemouthed, uncommunicable, tightfitting, soaked, cheap, any day/moment etc. now, neck and neck, short, draw to a close/an end, lock out, walk-to, packed, clam up, sultry, remnant, huddle, in no time (at all), restricting, goal, open, frugal, bleed, next-door, cordon off, wind up, Boulevard, equal, cautious, neighbor, juxtaposed, nip and tuck, brokerage, unemotional, harmless, stretch, confidential, coda, penny-pinching, economical, meticulous, imprecise, determination, controlled, draw, down-to-the-wire, barely, limiting, cultivation, expiry, dear, virtually, shut out, nestled, agree, bosom, miserly, cheeseparing, side by side, scalelike, careful, wrong, delicate, chain, loaded, hairline, encompassing, shoemaker's last, block off, moral, niggard, bid, cockeyed, stinting, run out, fast, dam, strained, verbal, illegitimate, beside, hard-fisted, destination, soused, bank, backstreet, around the corner, cul-de-sac, bordering, thick, go out of business, anaesthetize, soon, not unlike, bypass, unsettling, appressed, roughly, Dr., fail, person-to-person, fit, certain, underweight, crash, cluster, coalesce, decision, just, taciturn, obturate, catch, homogeneous, pinpoint, economies, Drive, jam something open/shut, give out, incorrect, stagnant, questionable, economic, cloister, breath, suffocating, pass, kinship, shutting, pen up, coating, skinny, remainder, private, boot, brittle, bull, avoidable, accurate, inward, possibly, impending, probably, neighbouring, inexact, hedge, crowd, give, reason, provident, good, dense, beehive, reason out, methodical, cobbler's last, cauterize, one-on-one, bull market, alley, stuff, filial, adpressed, braid, penurious, abort, clap, come to an end, back, chignon, credit, clear, connect, stopper, impede, resolve, blind drunk, faithful, cramped, dry up, tight, restricted, last, shutter, close-run, slam, level, bunch, ratiocination, next to, enclose, put together, approximate, close your ears (to), scarcely, stale, serried, neighbour, go under, safe, kick, fusty, interactive, expected, acquainted, pay in, compact, nonverbal, brotherly, bondholder, contiguous, imminent, heavy, arm's-length, weedy, most, bob, obstruct, constrictive, surrounding, snuggled, stuffy, besiege, tightfisted, unresponsive, broking, almost, broadly, belt up, stingy, meet, illocutionary, reach out, dark, closely, sound, button, closest, closely knit, restrained, book, crescent, thorough, nasty, close-mouthed, fold, unite, guaranteed, close together, arcade, tie, Blvd., bearish, strange, impassive, bun, incommunicative, bear, reticent, closure, unfold, coterminous, fresh, taut, painstaking, sweltering, compressed, preventable, repel, finishing, Ave., unnatural, fuddled, uncork, airless, familiar, close-fisted, mean, attached, asset, bar, moldy, clench, deliver, distant, nigh, chintzy, adjoining, bring back, bend, clump together, shut down, clog, innocuous, against, unopposed, expressive, competing, bandage, fit out, Afro, come together, squiffy, deposit, tighten, attend, campus, account, passive, especial, undemonstrative, indistinguishable, neighboring, tightly fitting, ground, silent, confining, mathematical, bound, spot-on, ambient, claustrophobic, choke off, enveloping, all but, bobbed, refinement, car park, broken, close-knit, double, unfurl, broker-dealer, separate, family, restraint, borrow, shut off, united, troubling, musty, uncharitable, close up, settle, dummy up, hardly, close down, refreshing, wet, wave, thrifty, tightlipped, practically, buzz cut, closedown, oppressive, direct, stopping point, envelop, motionless, close-hauled, thrift, bullish, mingy, stiff, liquidate, love, scraggy, constraining, blank, backyard, systematic, controllable, well-nigh, passing, clannish, familial, debit, stringent, not want to know, sozzled, full, cosy, decide, Avenue, uncomfortable, reserved, smashed, corrupt, at the earliest/first opportunity, nearer, hem, pissed, secretive, conterminous, oddment, alarm, communicative, out, organized, cannibalize, automate, unventilated, protective, likely, cozy up, mop up, destruction, nearly, be quiet, crowded, disconnect, shortly, ungenerous, walking, stodgy, nighest, sort of, refined, abutting, catheterize, exclude, alongside, inaccurate, intimately, final stage, position, decode, hand-to-hand, bring to, exact, unaired, connected, scrawny, illegitimacy, stifling, clinch, close at hand, spread, extend, blotto, buffer, polish, mortgage, approximately, neutral, warm, petty, confined, make full, sparing, close-fitting
close (part of speech: verb)
approach (part of speech: verb)
similar (part of speech: adjective)
end (part of speech: verb)
ending, windup, expire, decease, pass on, demise, conclusion, terminal, exit, accomplishment, pass away, finale, termination, expiration, closing, cap, culmination, die, period, death, finis, wrap up, completion, cessation, checkmate
plug (part of speech: verb)
friendly (part of speech: adjective)
cease (part of speech: verb)
near (part of speech: adjective)
complete (part of speech: verb)
stingy (part of speech: adjective)