Definition of cockle:
- A bivalve mollusk, with radiating ribs, of the genus Cardium, especially C. edule, used in Europe for food; - sometimes applied to similar shells of other genera.
- A cockleshell.
- A hop- drying kiln; an oast.
- A plant or weed that grows among grain; the corn rose ( Luchnis Githage).
- The dome of a heating furnace.
- The fire chamber of a furnace.
- The Lotium, or darnel.
- The mineral black tourmaline or schorl; - so called by the Cornish miners.
- To cause to contract into wrinkles or ridges, as some kinds of cloth after a wetting.
knit, guggle, cock, swagger, ruffle up, sashay, prance, collapse, crumble, riffle, roll, wave, gurgle, crease, wrinkle, rumple, crinkle, ripple, undulate, tittup, leaf, thumb, burble, pucker, flap, entwine, fluff, crumple, riff, buckle, ruck, tuck, tumble, strut, shuffle, mess up, pleat, mix, babble, gather, break down, flick, ruck up, ruffle, bubble, flip.
- "The Black Bag", Louis Joseph Vance.
- "The Poems of Henry Van Dyke", Henry Van Dyke.
- "The World For Sale, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 14, 2009.