Definition of code :
1. A body of law, sanctioned by legislation, in which the rules of law to be specifically applied by the courts are set forth in systematic form; a compilation of laws by public authority; a digest.
2. Any system of rules or regulations relating to one subject; as, the medical code, a system of rules for the regulation of the professional conduct of physicians; the naval code, a system of rules for making communications at sea means of signals.
formula, cypher, jurisprudence, economy, law, encrypt, scratch, inscribe, key, encipher, polity, figure, codification, engrave, compute, enrol, encode, reckon, regulation, statute, work out, principles, commandment, mandate, grave, enter, computer code, canon, autograph, calculate, order, command, language, digest, system, recruit, enroll, legislation, decree, write in code, enactment
instruction (part of speech: noun)
secret (part of speech: noun)
- There is no moral code in nature. - "Ways of Nature", John Burroughs.
- Ever since she came to Harding she had noted with astonishment the high code of honor that held sway among the girls. - "Betty Wales Freshman", Edith K. Dunton.
- He moved only with pain; and yet, by the stern north- country code, he made no complaint and moved as rapidly as possible. - "The Silent Places", Steward Edward White.