Definition of coefficient:
- A number or letter put before a letter or quantity, known or unknown, to show how many times the latter is to be taken; as, 6x; bx; here 6 and b are coefficients of x.
- A number, commonly used in computation as a factor, expressing the amount of some change or effect under certain fixed conditions as to temperature, length, volume, etc.; as, the coefficient of expansion; the coefficient of friction.
- Cooperating; acting together to produce an effect.
- That which unites in action with something else to produce the same effect.
- "Five of Maxwell's Papers", James Clerk Maxwell.
- "The Birth-Time of the World and Other Scientific Essays", J. (John) Joly.
Given a missionary with a Bible in his hip- pocket or a peasant with a load of brushwood on his back and the same gastric coefficient, and you will have in either case a resulting expansion for six feet of coffin ground and a fraction of Allah's mercy.- "The Book of Khalid", Ameen Rihani.