Definition of contentious:
disputatious, attitude, feisty, fraught, gladiatorial, contrarian, adverse, difficult, eristic, disruptive, pugnacious, hot-button, conflict, truculent, warlike, battleful, belligerent, assaultive, volatile, agonistical, disputative, litigious, militant, scrappy, troublesome, unfriendly, embarrassing, invidious, problematic, chippy, agonistic, polemical, argumentative, study at belligerent, aggressive, agonistic, cantankerous, bellicose, polemic, attack, combative, bad, controversial, brawly.
- conflicting (part of speech: adjective)
- discordant (part of speech: adjective)
- contentious (part of speech: adjective)
- "Weighed and Wanting", George MacDonald.
In every case the bank manager had full control of the disposal of the fund, and could pay it in bulk, or divide it among those who had succeeded in eliminating from a contentious world one of its most contentious members.- "Revenge!", by Robert Barr.
- "The Woman's Bible Part I. Comments on Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Part II. Comments on the Old and New Testaments from Joshua to Revelation.", Elizabeth Cady Stanton.