Definition of Corroboree:
- A festivity or social gathering, esp. one of a noisy or uproarious character; hence, tumult; uproar.
- A nocturnal festivity with which the Australian aborigines celebrate tribal events of importance. Symbolic dances are given by the young men of the tribe, while the women act as musicians.
- A song or chant made for such a festivity.
fun, clutter, ruction, splore, knees-up, foofaraw, bobbery, helter-skelter, blather, pandemonium, row, tumult, ballyhoo, ado, hurly-burly, hurly, fuss, dinner dance, dance, hubbub, stir, hurry, hurricane, bluster, ceilidh, kerfuffle, hullabaloo, zoo, pother, alarums and excursions, coil, disco, squall, ruckus, turmoil, whirl, welter, uproar, moil, stew, clatter, rumpus, storm, hoo-ha, do, barn dance, furor, hubble-bubble, bother, bustle, williwaw, furore, to-do, hurry-scurry, masked ball, hoedown, disturbance, hoopla, ball, shindy.
- "Tropic Days", E. J. Banfield.
Where the Melbourne University now stands, a few miserable Australian blacks would meet and hold a corroboree; but, except it might be a refugee bush- ranger from Sydney, there was not a white man in all Victoria.- "A Boy's Voyage Round the World", The Son of Samuel Smiles.
- "Fifty-One Years of Victorian Life", Margaret Elizabeth Leigh Child-Villiers, Countess of Jersey.